MAA (Mother's Absolute Affection): Important Topics for UPSC Exams
A nationwide flagship programme of Breastfeeding through Health Systems by the
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to ensure adequate awareness is generated
among masses, especially mothers, on the benefits of breastfeeding.
- There is the provision of counseling services for supporting
breastfeeding through health systems.
- The programme has been named ‘MAA’ to signify the support a lactating
mother requires from family members and at health facilities to breastfeed
Components of MAA:
- Community awareness generation,
- Strengthening inter personal communication through ASHA,
- Skilled support for breastfeeding at Delivery points in Public health
- Monitoring and Award/recognition.
Importance of Breastfeeding:
- Prevents 20% of newborn deaths
- Prevents13% of under-five deaths
- 11 times lesser chance of diarrheal mortality
- 15 times lesser chance of Pneumonia related mortality
- Benefits on raising I.Q.
- Prevention of non-communicable diseases,
- Lesser hospital stay of newborns,
- Maternal benefits (cancer prevention).
- Around 3.9 crore pregnant and lactating mothers
- 8.8 lakh ASHAs conduct mobilization
- 18,000 birthing facilities skilled in lactation management